Zulassungsstelle weinheim online dating farmers dating site reviews
Their activities marked the beginning of the civilian use of the Rheinschanze.The year 1844 was the official birth of Ludwigshafen, when Lichtenberger sold this property to the state of Bavaria (Bayern), and the military title of the fortress was finally removed.It is the birthplace of the former German chancellor Helmut Kohl and the philosopher Ernst Bloch. In antiquity, Celtic and Germanic tribes settled in the Rhine Neckar area. The Middle Ages saw the foundation of some of Ludwigshafen's future suburbs, including Oggersheim, Maudach, Oppau and Mundenheim; most of the area, however, remained swampland, its development hindered by seasonal flood of the Rhine.The Rhine Neckar region was part of the territory of the Prince-elector of the Kurpfalz, or Electorate of the Palatinate, one of the larger states within the Holy Roman Empire.
With Mannheim, Heidelberg and the surrounding region, it forms the Rhine Neckar Area.
In the area between the city centre and those two suburbs new quarters (“North” and “South”) were built after (then) modern urban development plans.
Because the ground was marshy and too low to be protected from Rhine floods, all the new houses were built on raised ground, sometimes as high as 5 metres above the original ground.
The Rhine had become a frontier and the Rheinschanze, cut off politically from Mannheim, lost its function as the neighbouring city's military bulwark.
In 1808, during the French occupation, Carl Hornig of Mannheim purchased the fortress from the French authorities and turned it into a way station for passing river traffic.